Forums

Forums / General Science and Teaching / Why Are People Turning Against Common Core?

General Science and Teaching

Why Are People Turning Against Common Core?

Author Post

First, that would involve being talented to pass all those exams. And if you haven't taken the options, that's not going to ensue. Confirm those are qualified universities - while numerous universities will let you get credit for taking some of those fast bachelor’s degree, most have a minimum extent of modules you essential to take on campus before they'll award you a degree. If they don't have this, they probably aren't recognized, and a non-accredited degree is valueless.
http://www.accurateonlineuniversity.com/fast-degree/

Virginia Herbert Virginia Herbert 1505 Points

I think that they are turning against common core because they are afraid of change. People are so used to thinking a certain way and things have been the same for so long, that they reject change. Unfortunately, teachers tend to think this way as well. However, I do believe being informed will help with this change!

Cris DeWolf Cris DeWolf 11965 Points

While common core standards support science literacy - they do not really support science content knowledge or inquiry. I think that some of the people who are against them - especially science teachers that are against them (especially at the elementary level) is because some district administrators push ELA and Mathematics over science as these are what are assessed to determine the effectiveness of the school.

Stephanie Barrera Stephanie Barrera 2405 Points

Interesting posts about the common core. This semester I have been more curious about the common core and have looked them up. I live in Texas so we do not follow the common core, but what we have is the same idea. (I know you all know that)I think there are many teachers in Texas who also feel the same about our standards. Thanks for the post!

Chris Leverington Chris Leverington 4035 Points

In Arizona...Common Core has been presented by our incredibly Republican state as "Obama forcing us to be liberal," even though Obama had nothing to do with it. In the elections last week, the republican candidate for Superintendent of Public Instruction candidate (who has no college degree, no education experience, and no idea what she's doing) won solely because she is anti common core and a republican. She didn't even run commercials or interview. The democrat who has 20+ years in education lost. It hasn't really affected my teaching of science, beyond the fact that we are "supposed" to do more writing and reading in our class. The problem is that, I don't have time for that. My students struggle heavily enough just learning the science content...that I don't have time to spend 2-3 days teaching them how to SOAPStone a science article. I also don't have time to grade 190 essays...especially when their grammar and spelling makes me want to cry.

Richard Peterson Richard Peterson 30 Points

In the first place, that would include being capable to pass each one of those exams. Furthermore, on the off chance that you haven't taken the alternatives, that is not going to follow. Affirm those are qualified colleges - while various colleges will give you a chance to get acknowledgment for taking some of those quick four year college education, most have a base degree of modules you fundamental to tackle grounds before they'll recompense you a degree. On the off chance that they don't have this, they presumably aren't perceived, and a non-licensed degree is valueless.
http://www.theskilledwriter.com/service.php?s=8

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers