Forums

Forums / New Teachers / Uncooperative student

New Teachers

Uncooperative student

Author Post
Guadalupe Mickelboro Guadalupe Mickelboro 2110 Points

I am a student teacher. I recently was doing a guided reading group and I was getting observed by my supervisor. I had a student that did not want to participate. I tried to get him to read and he said he didn't want to. I asked him if he could read with me and I started the passage and he could finish it, but he didn't want to. I gave him the choice to read with me or he would have to read at another time like during recess, he still did not cooperate. So I went ahead and continued with the group and he ended up participating towards the end. What else could I do in that situation? My supervisor stated I did everything right from trying to read with him to giving him a choice. She stated that in the past the student has thrown tantrums in situations like that were he got mad but I was able to handle the situation were he didn't get mad and that was a plus. She recommended to get to know the student better and I will eventually find a way to motivate him to read. Is there any tips/strategies I could try for next time? 

Beatrice Taylor Beatrice Taylor 3896 Points

Lupita, I agree with your supervisor.  Sometimes I have made that student my 'helper' to help them with self-esteem.  I got a child in second grade my FIRST year of teaching that the other teacher couldn't handle.  I didn't sleep the night before he was to come into the room!!  When he walked in, I welcomed him and put him to work helping me.  I never had any problem from him...... :-)

I know you've heard from several professors that 'building relationships' is the first thing you have to do.  That doesn't mean that you become their friend but you become someone they know values them and cares about them.

Mary Bigelow Mary Bigelow 10275 Points

It sounds like you did a lot to get him to participate. Could he be embarrassed about his reading ability, especially in a group, and use anger to act out his frustrations? I would agree with your supervisor about interacting with the child outside of reading groups to learn more about him. Perhaps books or stories related to his interests would help? He's fortunate that you want to help him! -- Mary B

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers