Forums

Forums / Earth and Space Science / Solar System Activity- Recycled solar system

Earth and Space Science

Solar System Activity- Recycled solar system

Author Post
Amanda Cantu Amanda Cantu 225 Points

Students can create a solar system of recycled plastic lids as planets! Not only will be they be learning about the solar system but the importance of recycling. Also it is cheap all you need is water bottle caps from your home as well as the students, and crayons. Enjoy

Taylean Zuniga Taylean Zuniga 190 Points

This seems like a cool activity to do with students. Would the water bottle caps be big enough? 

Nicole Rodriguez Nicole Rodriguez 245 Points

This is a great idea! I have also seen where they use rocks and they paint the planets on each rock. This idea would also be good to discuss the topic of how rocks are formed. 

Nicole Rodriguez Nicole Rodriguez 245 Points

This is a great idea! I have also seen where they use rocks and they paint the planets on each rock. This idea would also be good to discuss the topic of how rocks are formed. 

Brittany Brazell Brittany Brazell 180 Points

I've never thorught to do something like this, thanks for sharing! To build off of this activity, you could hot glue the bottle caps to a recycled piece of cardboard so that the students can understand the order of the solar system.  

Sharnae Pegues Sharnae Pegues 620 Points

I am such a fan of this idea! This is especially convenient during these times, where some students are going to school from home to stay safe from the coronavirus. Maybe I can use this idea as a guide to make it even more home-friendly.

Sharnae Pegues Sharnae Pegues 620 Points

Also, I'm an upcoming educator. So, I greatly appreciate you putting this suggestion out there. I'm always looking for engaging projects I can assign my students and I feel that this one is a definate keeper!

Samantha Forero Samantha Forero 1085 Points

I love this idea! As a future educator, I greatly appreciate new ideas that are posted on here as well as on other websites.  I will definitely be using this idea in my classroom one day. I think it is also a great idea to use now, especially during this pandemic. Students do not have many items available at home and are not able to leave their house at any time to go out and find supplies. Using recycled products allows students to complete assignments safely at home, and allows us to incorporate different topics, like global warming, into our lesson about the solar system. 

Samantha Hyde Samantha Hyde 1850 Points

I enjoy this idea and I think it would be a fun activity. I like that the materials are household objects. I think reaching out to parents to ask for old plastic water bottles with their caps is an easy way to involve the parents. It shows them they can contribute to their childs learning. What is also great about this project that it shows students how everyday objects can be turned into a learning oppertunity and that helps build connections between the content they are learning and their lives. I like that this activity incorporantes different subject areas. You have science with the solar system and recycling. The students are using their mulit-intellgences with creating thir solar system. This activity you could easily tie in math and language arts for example, read a book over the different types of planets that fits into your lesson plan. 

Jordan Leffler Jordan Leffler 210 Points

This is such a great idea! I love how accessible this would be for students to do in the classroom or at home during remote learning. It is a simple project with inexpensive materials, so all students would be able to do it. Thanks for sharing!

Valeria Amaro Valeria Amaro 440 Points

Hello Amanda! I really think this is an excellent idea! Projects often tend to become expensive, and with use of at-home or at-school materials the students will be able to use their creativity to express themselves through this project. I liked how you mention that recycling can form part of this topic/activity. I will definetly take into consideration your idea for future lesson plans, not only regarding the solar system. 

Bryanna Salazar Bryanna Salazar 590 Points

I believe this is a very smart idea. we can introduce several topics at once and it is a material many students can bring. We must realize that not all of our students can buy certain material. 

RaeLee Lance RaeLee Lance 500 Points

I really like this idea.  The solar system was one of favorite subject when I was in school.  I cannot wait to start teaching and finding creative ways to engage my students. 

Tony Valdez Tony Valdez 220 Points

I like the idea! I think it talks about both the good of recyling and caring for the planet and have students use the recycled materials to build a solar system. That sounds very creative. Great suggestion!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers