Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Staying Focused

Early Childhood

Staying Focused

Author Post
Chelsea Eguia Chelsea Eguia 625 Points

Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone has any tips for keeping the younger students focused and attentative during class now that virtual learning is going on? I know some students can become easily distracted and have trouble with their electronics. 

Ariel Cantu Ariel Cantu 105 Points

Some tips for keeping younger students focused during virtual learning is use a checklist for focus. For example, if the child is asked to watch a lesson, read a prompt, and then provide a written response to the prompt, the checklist would have keywords for each of these required activities: watch, read, write.  Providing immediate positive feedback can go a long way in helping to motivate your child. Something as simple as putting a check mark, star, or sticker on the work assignment boosts the child's confidence. 

Valerie Longoria Valerie Longoria 375 Points

Hello, some tips that i'd advice you to keep younger students focused virtually is to use lots of vibrant colors and mimick youtube videos. In the sense of being kiddish, funny and entertaining. Especially since they aren't learning in a classroom, I believe that what usually works in the classroom won't be very effective to transfer online. Therefore, if you mirror something that they typically watch online you'll be more effective in grasping their attention. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers