Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Provide a nurturing learning environment

Early Childhood

Provide a nurturing learning environment

Author Post
Edwin Lopez Edwin Lopez 835 Points

Teaching science in a new educational setting can be a challenge.  Teachers may discover differences in the students’ levels. There may also be a wide range of ability interests among students. Many students may perceive learning science as a difficult content area due to; the requirement for extensive readings, the learning of scientific jargons and concepts. Many teachers struggle to help students make connections between what they are learning in their science classes and the world around them. As educators, we can overcome these obstacles by integrating some simple tips in a bid to make learning science fun. Teachers should aim to be supportive and patient by constantly using praise and encouragement. Allow students to make mistakes and/or ask questions. This is key to facilitating the learning process. Take time to guide students in a positive direction by modelling the expectations. Praise them with words of kindness to increase confidence in their learning. 

Lisbette Armenta Lisbette 20 Points

I completely agree. I believe that the stigma that science is hard has shaped the believe that its not fun, resulting in students having that set of mind and blocking the ability of learning it. As teachers we should defiantly open students mind to science and teaching them how to embrace it. Meaning form a very young age, finding creative ways that make science fun, and encouraging students to pursue the science knowledge. As well as incorporating or attaching what they learn to daily life, allowing them to understand that science is an everyday thing, not just in books or the classroom. As well teaching them that science is a trial and error subject, meaning that having them learn form any misconception so that they can ask question and pursue further explanation instead of giving up. All this should be important factor so as teachers we can change the mentality of students about science.

Marielena Gurdian Marielena Gurdian 465 Points

I couldn't agree with you more! I believe that is so important to make science fun and informative, its about exploring not just reading. Its also very very important we help the student make that important connection from what they have learned at school with their lives. I can personally say that I love teaching science even now that I'm working with two year olds we learn through exploration, they also have learned to life cycle of a plant, a butterfly, a lady bug, they play with magnets in my opinion its never too early to start teaching children to love science.

Adrian Brown Adrian Brown 20 Points

All this much concentration and the attraction towards a child or student goes in private tutoring only. These types of learning centers for every child helps one to know more in private. Whether it may be science or any practical subject, one should know all about the topic that means one will have the complete information on it alone.
We just need to have a look at this site.

Attachments

1858806.jpg (0.02 Mb)

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers