Forums

Forums / New Teachers / Materials for the Classroom

New Teachers

Materials for the Classroom

Author Post
Tori Studer Victoria Studer 505 Points

Hello! I will be student teaching coming in August! I am starting to write lesson plans for Science using simple machines. It has been difficult to find the exact materials I will need to use to conduct my lessons. I am finding that I am going out on my own to purchase the materials I need, even though the host school has a science room. Do you know of any websites or have any simple ways to get reusable materials for cheap? I will find any resources to be beneficial since I hope to make science lessons that are always hands-on for my students in the future. Thanks! -Tori

Brianda Delgado Brianda Delgado 560 Points

Hello, Victoria I hope you're doing well. I wanted to let you know that I've been seeing a lot of my friends that are teachers post their Amazon wishlist link which is the school supplies they need for their classrooms for that upcoming year on their social media like Facebook and Instagram. I believe this is a very good idea for you to do because there are a lot of people that would like to help out since they know that most teachers have to purchase their own school supplies and decorate their classrooms for their future students. I hope you have a great school year Victoria, stay safe! 

Samantha Coyle Samantha Coyle 2245 Points

I completely understand! For all my lessons in student teaching, I have bought all my materials. This is not cheap, especially while being a college student. Often your CT will have supplies, or the school, but it's your place to ask so it seems. I don't feel like I have that relationship with my CT to where I can request things, even though she asks if I need anything (the day before when I have had the lesson long prepared). I have been fortunate to have gift cards to places like Target and Hobby Lobby, which have helped. However, you might find some items of use at a resale shop for cheap. Also, I have heard many of my professors say that if you go into places (Home Depot, Hobby Lobby [for scrape pieces of fabric]) and explain you are a teacher and what you need for your lessons, they may be willing to donate some items. I'm sort of scared of being turned down, but if you feel confident, try it out!

Rebecca Chun rebecca chun 940 Points

I also understand where you are coming from! I am also student teaching and I normally ask my CT for materials. If she does not have the materials I need, I would look around stores like Teacher Haven or Mardel and find materials where I can craft. Also, you can call around like Office Depot or other stores that have office materials and explain that you are a teacher and looking for any donation.

Amy Jorgensen Amy Jorgensen 425 Points

Hi Tori- Congratulations on beginning your teaching career. I recently went to a wonderful, informational educators science conference where I learned about the following website: http://99centscience.blogspot.com/ The women who started this blog are experienced science educators who know how to create cheap science activities that are fun, explorative, and provide students with explanation. Check it out!

Mary Bigelow Mary Bigelow 10275 Points

A recent NSTA blog addressed the question of materials for elementary science: http://nstacommunities.org/blog/2015/03/09/materials-for-elementary-science/

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers