Forums

Forums / Evaluation and Assessment / Formative Assessment

Evaluation and Assessment

Formative Assessment

Author Post
Martha Brown Martha Brown 910 Points

Formative assessment is an ongoing process used to determine student knowledge as well as mastery of a lesson or concept. Formative assessment is used to evaluate student learning and to determine if a lesson needs to be repeated or if one can advance in instruction. Formative assessment refers to a wide variety of methods that teachers use to conduct in-process evaluations of student comprehension, learning needs, and academic progress during a lesson, unit, or course. Formative assessments help teachers identify concepts that students are struggling to understand, skills they are having difficulty acquiring, or learning standards they have not yet achieved so that adjustments can be made to lessons, instructional techniques, and academic support.

The general goal of formative assessment is to collect detailed information that can be used to improve instruction and student learning while it’s happening (Great Schools, Partnership, 2014).

Formative assessment comes in multiple forms. Classroom assessment often involves a formal paper-and-pencil approach. One of the best ways to collect information about students’ thinking is by formally or informally listening to students when they are “talking science” (Keeley, 2019). Examples of what formative assessments will look like in my classroom includes think-pair-share/peer assessment, exit/admission tickets, reflection journals and quizzes.

What do you know about night and what things happen at night? Which animals do you think are active during the day, and which are active during the night (NSTA, 2022)?

Great Schools Partnership. (2014). Formative Assessment. https://www.edglossary.org/formative-assessment/#Benefits

Keeley, P. (2019). Formative assessment in the science classroom: What it is and what it is not. Science & Children, 56(9), 8-9.

NSTA. (2022). Science Day and Night National Science Teaching Association. 

https://www.nsta.org/science-and-children/science-and-children-januaryfebruary-2022/science-day-and-night

MEDU 603 - Formative Assessment Collection (8 items)
- User Uploaded Resource
- Lesson Plan
- User Uploaded Resource
Regina Ciphrah Regina Ciphrah 1819 Points

Your exploration of formative assessment in the NSTA collection is commendable. It's great to see your engagement with resources aimed at enhancing educational practices. Keep on enriching your understanding and toolkit by adding more resources, not just from the NSTA Learning Center but from other platforms as well. Keep up the good work!

Sam Hoppe Sam 60 Points

I have been using Dumpscollection.com to prepare my Exin ITIL exam course. I just love the practice tests and the detailed questions and answers as they really helped me to understand the concepts and ITIL questions terminologies of the topic. The practice tests really saved me a lot of time during test prep. Thanks for making my job just a bit easier.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers