Forums

Forums / New Teachers / 4th grade STEM lesson ideas?

New Teachers

4th grade STEM lesson ideas?

Author Post
Breeana Wolff Breeana Wolff 245 Points

Hi there! I'm currently a student teacher but I am a teacher for my school's afterschool program. In this program, I am teaching stem lessons for an hour after they finish their homework. The problem is, my students finish their homework at different times. Many of my stem lessons are group-based, so require students to be done at the same time. 

Are there any lesson plan ideas where students can work projects individually but aren't just worksheets? I've noticed stem is problem-based but is group-oriented. I've noticed it's either group-based or an informational worksheet where they answer questions regarding comprehension. 

Any ideas are welcomed, even concepts to explore! Thank you! 

Pamela Dupre Pamela Dupre 92369 Points

Have you considered using Picture Perfect Science Lessons? Check them out at the NSTA bookstore and use the tab Explore All Resources to search for specific lessons you need. I also use ngss.nsta.org to find STEM lessons. You can also do a student survey to find out what each student is interested in learning more about. You could do a whole group/small group STEM lesson, ask students for driving qustions and have those questions become the enhanced individual STEM lesson for each student to explore and then present to the whole class.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers