Forums

Forums / Physical Science / Energy Transformation Labs

Physical Science

Energy Transformation Labs

Author Post
Euvelyn Calma Euvelyn Calma 495 Points

I had purchased an energy kit to carry out an energy transformation lab (9th graders) but the kit only had one set of everything and I have 6 classes of 30 students. If the kit breaks, the next class won't be able to use the equipments. Students seem to enjoy energy transformation labs but the materials tend to add up (i.e. glow sticks, hand warmers, apples, etc;) Can you suggest exciting labs in which students can carry out themselves using household materials or materials students can bring to show energy transformation?

Patricia Rourke Patricia Rourke 45925 Points

Tina, Thanks you for sharing the idea of having different stations for exploring various energy transformations. Euvelyn, as you develop ideas for your curriculum, you may wish to search the resources in the Learning Center to see if there is something that excites you. Using the search words 'energy transformation' returned 27 resources. Not all of them are free resources but many are available to all users. Some examples: A Science Object: Energy: Energy Transformations Grade Level: Elementary School, Middle School, High School A SciPack: Flow of Matter and Energy in Ecosystems Grade Level: Elementary School, Middle School, High School A Book Chapter: Energy on the Move By: William C. Robertson, Ph.D. Grade Level: Elementary School, Middle School A Journal Article: Science 101: How does photosynthesis work? By: William Robertson, PhD. Grade Level: Elementary School A Journal Article: Egg Bungee Jump By: Thomas Tretter Grade Level: Middle School A Journal Article: Blast Off into Space Science with Fuses By: Ruth Bombaugh Grade Level: Middle School A NSTA Podcast: Podcast: Potential and Kinetic Energy Grade Level: Elementary School, Middle School, Informal Education There are others you may wish to check out, too. Let us know if something supports what you wish to do with your students as they study and work with energy transformation. Your input guides all of us. Thanks a bunch, ~patty

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers