Forums

Forums / General Science and Teaching / Teaching Science Only Part of the Year

General Science and Teaching

Teaching Science Only Part of the Year

Author Post
Jennifer Nesbitt Jennifer Nesbit 215 Points

I am a student at the University of Arkansas and in our placements in various local schools they all seem to have different ways on teaching science. Some schools on teach science part of the year while others teach it througout the year. I am curious if any experienced teachers have any input on what worked best for their student's learning? 

Judith Boyle Judith Boyle 965 Points

Jennifer,

NSTA's Elementary School Science Position Statement highly recommends 60 minutes of science per day. For my students, as much time as possible spent on science works the best. And, I am slowly working toward making it interdisciplinary. Exposing my students to as much science as possible has enabled them to become better writers, readers, and mathematicians. Their ability to observe, ask questions, design investigations, make sound predictions, and to problem-solve has grown exponentially. So, exposing your students to science every day is a must. And, my students love coming to school because they adore science!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers