Forums

Forums / Research in Science Education / Looking for Middle School Teachers to Participate in Robotics Project funded by NSF

Research in Science Education

Looking for Middle School Teachers to Participate in Robotics Project funded by NSF

Author Post
Michael Cassidy Michael Cassidy 430 Points

Are you searching for computational thinking tools for your 6th, 7th or 8th grade STEM program?

The Designing Bio Robots project, a curriculum collaboration between the Center for Engineering Education and Outreach at Tufts University and TERC in Cambridge, MA, is funded by the National Science Foundation to support middle school learning experiences in computational thinking, engineering design, and life science. Students combine the Hummingbird Robotics Toolkit and the Scratch programming language with life science research to prototype working robots.

We invite middle school teachers to join our 2018-19 team, implement our biology-inspired robotics curriculum, and assist with efforts to study learning outcomes. The curriculum is designed to address computational thinking, engineering, and life science learning standards.

SUPPORT

•  $1000 teacher stipend

•  Classroom Hummingbird Robotics Kit to keep for your school (a $1700 value)

•  All instructional materials and supplies needed to implement the unit

•  Technical and pedagogical support from project staff based at Tufts and TERC

COMMITMENT

•    3.5 days of summer professional development in August 2018 (Tentatively scheduled for Aug. 20-23 - more information to come) 

•    Implementation during the 2018-19 school year of the Designing Bio Robots unit

4 modules of 5 class sessions each

•    Collection of student consent forms, surveys, and work artifacts during the unit

•    Hosting of project research staff for classroom visits

•    Post-unit interviews and reflections with the project team

ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS

1   Be able to attend all 3.5 summer work days.

2   Have the capacity in 2018-19 to teach the Designing Bio Robots curriculum to 6th, 7th, or 8th graders.

3   Be able to host project research staff for classroom visits.

FOR MORE INFORMATION OR TO APPLY

With questions, contact Dr. Mike Cassidy at [email protected]

To apply, please visit: www.tinyurl.com/biorobots-teachers

Emily Faulconer Emily Faulconer 5755 Points

Is this a project that will recur next year? If so, I will pass it along to a friend of mine who started teaching middle school robotics this year in south Florida. 

Brenda Velasco Mizenko Brenda Velasco 2695 Points

Thanks for sharing this information. There are so many wonderful opportunities for teachers out there but not many know about them. I will share this with the teachers at the middle school. Are they still accepting applications? I teach elementary otherwise I'd apply myself!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers