Forums

Forums / Life Science / A real, honest to goodness, dinosaur tail!

Life Science

A real, honest to goodness, dinosaur tail!

Author Post
Chance Duncan Chance Duncan 90 Points

You've probably already heard the news about this but just in case, and especially if you haven't shared this with your students, here you go:

From NPR: Baby Dinosaur's 99 Million-Year-Old Tail, Encased In Amber, Surfaces In Myanmar

PLEASE take an opportunity to share it with your students! This is a huge find and a giant piece of evidence showing that likely many or most dinosaurs had feathers at least at some point in their lives. It's also a great tool to use when discussing evolution to help students understand how the avian dinosaurs could transition to birds, and understand that birds are really just reptiles with modified scales and maturity-onset endothermy.

Isn't science amazing?!

Pamela Dupre Pamela Dupre 92369 Points

Just when you think you know one thing to be true, a random chance encounter delivers this surprise! That is pretty incredible. I'm so excited!

Just when you think one thing you know is true, a random encounter happens and now we see this! I always wondered about Pterodactyl's being related to birds and if they were, how would they fly without feathers. This is intriguing for sure.

Sophia Hebert Sophia Hebert 450 Points

Thank you for sharing! This is awesomeness!

Sarah Benton Feitlinger Sarah Benton 1775 Points

I was so excited when this news came out. So cool! And to think if it hadn't been spotted as the scientific treasure that it is, someone would be wearing it as jewelry!

No kidding!

Chance Duncan Chance Duncan 90 Points

Exactly! It makes you wonder how many amazing scientific finds have vanished, but more exciting, how many more have yet to be found! I kind of fantasize about the possibility of finding an entire baby dinosaur encased in amber. That would be beyond belief...

Sarah Benton Feitlinger Sarah Benton 1775 Points

That would be awesome! As long as no one tried to build Jurassic Park... jk.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers