Forums

Evaluation and Assessment

Assessments

Author Post
Lucia Giblin Lucia Giblin 140 Points

In the article “A is for assessment”, the benefits of three different assessments are discussed. The first one discussed is pre-assessment which is directly tied to learning objectives, and takes place just prior to the learning experiences. The article “Turning on the Lights: What Pre-Assessments Can Do” discussed the benefits of pre-assessments if used correctly in the classroom. Pre- assessments should include a few key questions asked right before a lesson or activity. These questions help to understand what the students know and do not know. Knowing where the students are struggling helps a teacher direct the focus of a unit more precisely on what's most essential for students to learn. Formative assessments check for understanding as students are learning new skills or gaining new knowledge. Some examples of formative assessments can be quizzes or exit tickets. Post-assessments are demonstrations of what students have gained as a result of the learning experiences provided. “Effective assessments help teachers present a more accurate picture of what students know and are able to do. They also provide teachers with a more realistic picture of what students gained from the experiences offered, rather than making an assumption that everything they know about a concept was learned in the classroom.” One method that I liked from the article to check for knowledge was drawing. Assigning a drawing task to the students allows every student to express themselves and their knowledge. I also like it because some students are not as good at expressing their words on paper and are better at visibly seeing their work. In my own lessons, I would use all three assessment methods because they are all good ways to check for understanding. 

Mitra Surik Mitra Surik 380 Points

I recall searching for someone who could assist me with writing of a high caliber. However, it is not easy to locate these experts. Thankfully, I was able to locate this paper 24 reviews. After reading through reviews from actual consumers, I concluded that it would paper 24 review be worthwhile to give them a try. I can vouch for the customer reviews—they did an excellent job, as stated. So, before placing a purchase, read and consider what others have to say.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers