Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Severe Weather

Elementary Science

Severe Weather

Author Post
Kimberly Mcknight Kimberly Mcknight 645 Points

What are some fun activities I can use to help incoroporate into my Severe weather unit plan?

Bri Lingenfelter Bri Lingenfelter 1405 Points

Hi Kimberly!

You can try creating a tornado in a bottle using water and dish soap to demonstrate the swirling motion of a tornado. Another fun activity you could try is making a cloud in a jar by heating water and creating condensation. This could help students understand how clouds form and the process of precipitation.

Toran Davis Toran Davis 865 Points

Kimberly,

Students can be broken into different teams, for example, Team Tornado, Team Hurricane, Team Blizzard, and Team Thunderstorm. Each team can create a presentation: PowerPoint, Prezi, FlipGrid, Podcast or other presentation methods. The students can investigate their respective severe weather entities. They can look into the cause, effect, locations and other characteristics about the respective weather occurence. I did something similar to this in one of my classes and the students enjoyed the activity. They were really excited to explore the storms independently!

If you try it, let me know how it goes!

Toran Davis

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers