Forums

Forums / General Science and Teaching / In Legislation to Support Climate Change Education, Symbolism is Not Enough by Glenn Branch

General Science and Teaching

In Legislation to Support Climate Change Education, Symbolism is Not Enough by Glenn Branch

Author Post
Aaron Rothfusz Aaron Rothfusz 160 Points

Before reading this article, I was well-aware that our country had made climate change/global warming more of a cross-cutting cleavage in our current political climate. However, this article opened my eyes to the amount of opportunities we will soon have as teachers. Back in 2014, there were roughly 41% of teachers that stated they were addressing climate change as something that was happening naturally, which is an unwarrented scientific idea. Since then, however, there has been a push for legislation to be passed to change the way that we educate our students. In states such as New York, Arizona, New Hampshire, California, and even Rhode Island, there have been different measures put in place to ensure that the teachers are more educated and prepared to teach on the subject and that students will get the correct information for the world that they will soon be inheriting. This article made my day, as now we have an overwhelming majority (79%) of registered voters that feel climate change needs to be addressed. We can teach our students the right way, and better yet, we will have a variety of resoures to make sure we are prepared and excited to open our kids eyes to this global issue that needs to be addressed.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers