Forums

Forums / Chemistry / Student centered learning

Chemistry

Student centered learning

Author Post
Sulekha Bhasin Sulekha Bhasin 3055 Points

I am looking for student centered activities for high school chemistry  . Thank you for your help and suggestions in advance .

Elizabeth Chuang Elizabeth Chuang 4675 Points

Hi! Although I'm a student teacher, I feel that I can provide some help.

I think that just about any lab you do in chemistry might naturally be student centered or even slightly altered to be student centered. A quick search in the Explore All Resources tab for 'chemistry' with the High School and Lesson Plans restrictions landed me about 8 journal articles for some chemistry concepts.

A quick Google search also provided me with this website: sharemylesson which seems to be reputable, though I wouldn't put too much stake in it without modifying the lessons I get to my students.

Alex Kinder Alex Kinder 1195 Points

I like to do a few things: 1. Think-pair-share: group students in pairs and have them first think about a question on their own, discuss it with their partner, and then share as a whole class. 2. Jigsaw: rather than teach the topic yourself, have students get into groups of 2-4 and have them read/research a topic on their own and come up with a way to teach it to the class. This is beneficial not just for the students they are teaching, but also themselves. Research shows that teaching a subject is one of the best ways to learn a new topic. 3. Research projects: I assign one major project a quarter that students research in pairs and then present to the class.

Evelyn Duarte Evelyn Duarte 855 Points

You can create different stations in which children will have to use discovery learning and interpersonal skills in order to be active learners and direct themselves through small activities you may be setting up. You many structure each state/activity in accordance to the content that you may be teaching. Make sure to have instructions and materials that may be needed at each station. Have some  kind of reflection or connection that children may make between the activity and actual academic vocabulary and science content. Then you can always have children share what they have encountered at each table or have them reteach or explain the concept to the class in their own words. This is the best way in which i can contribute towards giving you an idea of student centered learning. I hope this helps and gives you an idea. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers