Forums

Forums / New Teachers / How to teach something that you as a teacher are not good at

New Teachers

How to teach something that you as a teacher are not good at

Author Post
Candis Imanaka Candis Imanaka 750 Points

How do you create a lesson that is both informative and interesting when you, the teacher, are 1) not  a fan of the topic and 2) the subject area is just as difficult for you as it is for your students? 

Sierra Wayson Sierra Wayson 7745 Points

Hi Candis!

I resonated so much with this question, because it is something I think about all the time - based on my conversations with other educators, this is not an unusual thing to worry about.  To me, it seems like we need to find some way 'in' to the lesson (something that interests us or that we can get excited about) so that the students can feel our positive energy while we teach.  Negative demeanors and attitudes, even if unintentional, are easily detected by students and could discourage them from pursuing an interest in the topic.  Honestly, I think this sometimes has to be a 'fake it till you make it' strategy, but ideally we can find ways to get really positively engaged with the lesson.  So a lot of this is based on our mentalities and outlooks, which requires some internal reflecting to change.  Also, I think it is helpful to try to adopt a change in perspective when it comes to subjects that we find difficult.  Instead of dreading teaching the topic, we can try to look at the situation as an opportunity for personal and professional growth.  After all, we want our students to be life-long learners, so we should lead by example.  

Hope this is helpful to you! 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers