Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / COVID Safe Science Experiments

Early Childhood

COVID Safe Science Experiments

Author Post
Kyra Olweiler Kyra Olweiler 230 Points

Hi everyone! I am currently placed in a first-grade classroom and have not been seeing as many science lessons as I had hoped. Due to COVID-19, all of the students are socially distanced from each other and the class does not participate in small-group work. With the students constantly working individually, I was wondering if there are any science experiments that will be fun for students to complete, even if they are not working with others in a group? 

Thank you in advance!

If students are in school, can you get them outside?  Outdoors can be a wonderful place to explore and use an outdoor lab. Try setting up observation areas, where students can look for evidence of spring, animals, plants, interactions...  Have students start science journal/notebooks to record their wonderings and questions.  Allow them to experience the world outside the classroom door.  Also, try gardening.  This can be done in the classroom as well.  Students can grow plants under different conditions: lack of light, water, space, soil?  Let them set up the explorations.  

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers