Forums

Forums / New Teachers / Tips for 2nd grade anyone?

New Teachers

Tips for 2nd grade anyone?

Author Post
Stephanie Chavez Stephanie Chavez 575 Points

Hello, my name is Stephanie Chavez and I'm currently in my last semester of college. I will be student teaching in the Fall and have been assigned second grade. I'm nervous yet excited to begin this journey, but I'm also asking for help. If there are any tips and tricks in teaching science to my students please don't hesitate to tell me. All ideas will be appreciated! Thank you all in advance, Stephanie C.

Barbara Force Barbara Force 1335 Points

Good luck in your student teaching! I suggest contacting your student teacher early and often. Get to know the whole department, too. Every teacher has their own style and plenty of great ideas to snatch up. Make sure to record all of those ideas somewhere you won't forget about. Is this your first student teaching experience? Have you done observations? Try to be entertaining. Move around, ask questions, and use your physical presence to hold student attention. And remember, they want to use their hands and feet! You get about three minutes of talk time before they lose interest. Have fun! If you build those loving relationships with the kids, they will work very hard for you! That is most important of all.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers