Forums

Forums / General Science and Teaching / Realy Kool Science Apps

General Science and Teaching

Realy Kool Science Apps

Author Post
Pamela Auburn Pamela Auburn 68625 Points

Have you found really kool science apps for you iphone or android? Share what they are and what they do. Here are a few to get started http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/click-and-learn/id443814512?mt=8 This app lets you explore a variety of electrical circuits, with a focus on the role of switches in controlling circuits and devices. You are introduced to switches in series, in parallel and in combination arrangements. The app includes multiple activities on circuits with switches that give a varying degree of control over devices. It also includes real life examples of circuit usage to aid in your understanding. Each activity supported with insightful learning content. Cost 0.99

Exploriments: Electricity - Current and Charge, Measurement of Current in Series and Parallel Electrical Circuits This Exploriments app provides an interactive environment to explore the concepts of current and charge, understand division of current in parallel circuits, understand current measurement using ammeter, gain familiarity with several types of circuits, and practice your skills at taking measurements. Activity-based quizzes help you to reinforce concepts and build confidence. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/exploriments-electricity-current/id490167317?mt=8 0.99

Exploriments : Electricity - Ohm's Law and Resistance of Devices in Electrical Circuits Learn more about Ohm’s Law using only your fingertips. Explore a variety of virtual circuits, complete with ammeters, voltmeters and an array of electrical devices. Calculate the resistance of devices in series, parallel and combination circuits and gain insights into the relationship of resistance with current and voltage, as defined by Ohm’s Law. Cost 0.99 http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/exploriments-electricity-ohms/id492220497?ls=1&mt=8

Exploriments: Electricity - Voltage Measurement in Series and Parallel Electrical Circuits This app presents an environment in which you can learn about potential difference, voltage and voltmeter. Compare characteristics of voltage in series and parallel circuits. Use a voltmeter to measure potential difference across one and more devices in a circuit. Understand and verify the cumulative nature of voltage drops in case of devices in series and explore voltage measurement with reference to a base voltage. Cost 0.99 http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/exploriments-electricity-voltage/id490168454?mt=8

Dawn McCoart Dawn McCoart 6215 Points

These look like great apps. We just got iPADs and iTouches at our school; does anyone have ideas for good Biology Apps for an iPad newbie? Thanks, Dawn

Daniel Carroll Dan Carroll 18610 Points

Check out sparkvue for physics. Uses the accelerometer in the ipad.

Daniel Carroll Dan Carroll 18610 Points

Also, im attending an ipod in the classroom pd tomorrow at yorktown. Ill let you know what they show us. I mostly use mine to get on the learning center. Although i cant do the online seminars on it which is a bummer.

Dawn McCoart Dawn McCoart 6215 Points

Thanks, Dan. I went in to the Apple Store for the iPad class, but the presenter wasn't up on the science apps, he liked words with friends though....

Patty McGinnis Patricia McGinnis 25635 Points

Dan, I recently received a grant for a cart of Ipod touches; I would be curious to hear what you learned in your IPOD PD.

The Chem Touch http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-chemical-touch/id288060442?mt=8 Explore the properties of the elements, the standard amino acids, and the nucleobases with The Chemical Touch. A touch sensitive periodic table and chemical information companion, it provides a wealth of information right at your fingertips. Recolor the periodic table by selecting properties other than Atomic Mass to visually investigate periodic trends. Having exhausted the built-in information, the internet button opens the Wikipedia page for the selected element, amino acid, or nucleobase.

Ken Liu Ken Liu 2000 Points

OK, this isn't an app but the university of colorado has a bunch of simulations that students can use to learn various topics. It even includes others' lessons and can be found at http://phet.colorado.edu/ I used the circuits simulation to teach electricity and the students practiced before actually building circuits. Ken

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92276 Points

You all might find these two discussion threads useful, too. They have lots of additional Apps suggestions. It is amazing what is available, isn't it?
General Science and Teaching > Best Science Apps?
and
General Science and Teaching > Science Apps for the iPad

Rachel Nieto Rachel Nieto 530 Points

I think this is a great idea! I started searching and found two apps that look promising. They are titled - Kid Science: Frog Dissection - Kid Science: Physics They both cost $2.99 and although I have not downloaded the apps yet, the reviews are very positive. It seems very useful and full of information

Chris Leverington Chris Leverington 4035 Points

If you have a smartboard there is a relatively cheap app I have heard that you can use to run your smartboard from the IPAD, includeing writing on the board and everything. This way you can move around the room without being tethered to the front.

Caryn Meirs Caryn Meirs 26235 Points

The blog appsineducation is one of the best sources for what you might need in any category.
SmartBoard apps are here
Doceri is the app that allows you to use your ipad as an interactive surface - I've seen it in action - being passed around the room as students engage in the lesson which was neat - and made sense to me since the smartboard can become a destination for one student to come up to....but it is pricey so get the trial version and see if it is worth it in your classroom.

Kendell Blake Kendell Blake 335 Points

You all have great ideas for apps, but does anybody have any suggestions for any free apps? As a college student, I like to explore a lot of different resources that I can possibly use one day, but I find it silly to pay for apps that I may not use for quite some time.

Dan Jurgensen Dan Jurgensen 520 Points

I have been using “Wonders of the Universe” which is a really cool astronomy app. “Space Facts” is a game more for elementary levels that can be fun to play. If you have a telescope, some of the newer ones have apps that work with the “go-to” function. Orion, as an example, has an app that will work with the “go-to” function on their scopes while star gazing. The cost of the app is the least of your concern though if you have already made the $1000 investment in the scope! My all-time favorite app (which is free) is the “Astronomy Picture of the Day” app. They have the coolest astronomy pictures and provide descriptions of the image. Hope this helps!!!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers