Forums

Forums / General Science and Teaching / Taking Science Outside of the Classroom

General Science and Teaching

Taking Science Outside of the Classroom

Author Post
Megan Melton Megan Melton 780 Points

Hello all,

My name is Megan Melton. I am working on my masters degree in education at Tennessee Tech University. I am currently teaching 6th grade science at a school in Overton County. We have covered a couple units about the environment and how humans impact the environment. I would love to be able to take my classroom outside some during these units. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas on how to do so? My students would love this and be so engaged.

David McCaulley David McCaulley 220 Points

Hello Megan,
I am currently going through the Education program at Athens State University. Throughout my career so far, I plan to incorporate a lot of hands-on experiments, which means I will need quite a bit of ideas. I suggest bringing nature into the classroom by creating an outdoor learning space on the school grounds. This could be as simple as setting up a garden where students can plant and tend to vegetables or flowers. They could learn about sustainable gardening practices, composting, and the importance of biodiversity. Another suggestion would be taking the students on nature walks around the school grounds. They could observe different ecosystems, identify native plant and animal species, and learn about environmental conservation efforts in the community. These walks could be supplemented with worksheets or journal prompts encouraging students to reflect on what they have observed and learned.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers