Forums

Forums / Physical Science / motion sickness!

Physical Science

motion sickness!

Author Post
Jeannie Ohta Jeannie Ohta 1105 Points

Something very interesting happened while I was taking a SciPack. I just took the light SciPack, and struggled to watch the animations due to motion sickness! How bizarre is that? I know I have motion sickness. I can't even stand on a pier; some elevator rides turn my stomach. But I literally had to close my eyes periodically to get my bearings back. Needless to say, it took me too many hours. Those waves nearly did me in. I should have known. I had a difficult time with the Earth and Moon Scipack as well. Bizarre!

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92246 Points

Wow, Jeannie. I had never heard of anyone having trouble watching educational animations. I am wondering if we have students in our classrooms that may be prone to seizures if they watch online animations or software programs that we use for educational purposes. Have others experienced any situations like this? Just wondering, Carolyn

Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

I have never heard of this before either. Carolyn had a good comment about students having difficulty with this. I wonder if anyone has heard of any research on this topic. I looked on the internet but did not find any absolutely reliable theories on this. I will keep looking to see what replies are posted here.

I teach Special Ed and it is a concern of mine. I do not believe that this could predict seizures, but it is common for students who are known to have seizures to limit their exposure to computer use for extensive sessions. It's the staring issue more than the movement. For me, personally, I have motion sickness riding certain elevators!!!! I do not go to 3D movies. It was just really strange that while watching the movement I felt queasy and saw double. It could have been the repetition. I was fine immediately afterward. It's probably something as simple as getting new glasses! Thanks for your concern, folks.

Using a laptop, so not unusually close. I had to take the test three times to pass, so I'm pretty sure it was the repetition. Thanks for the concern. Live and learn...

Carol McKenna Carol McKenna 1035 Points

Thanks for the warning - I'll be careful when I open those SciPaks.

Lance Threewitt Lance Threewitt 2375 Points

Distance from the screen is an interesting thought. I think no matter how far you are, as long as you're focused for a long period of time, you're probably going to experience the same thing. I've noticed as I get older I get motion sickness more easily than I used to. My sons have certain video games that they ask me to play with them, and I find that afterwards I'm a nauseous wreck. Thanks for the heads up.

Jacob Germain Jacob Germain 495 Points

I am unsure of what is causing the motion sickness so easily, but definitely check it out online! I am sure that it all depends on the person. Everyone is different, so people experience animations differently.

Callie Rodgers Callie Rodgers 1795 Points

That's interesting to hear that you have been getting motion sickness from the sci-packs! I am a person who gets motion sickness easily but I have not experienced motion sickness with the sci-packs. It's definitely something you should look into. Possibly visit the eye doctor to see if they can help you with that!

others have commented the same. It was specifically the motion of light waves. It was most likely being tired and the glasses. But it is over now, thank goodness. Thanks...

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers