Forums

Forums / STEM / STEM Lab vs. STEM Integrated Classroom

STEM

STEM Lab vs. STEM Integrated Classroom

Author Post
Angela Schroader Angela Schroader 180 Points

Is STEM education most effective when implemented into the general classroom or when used in a specific STEM classroom? I have noticed that many schools have a STEM lab, but their core classes do not seem to implement STEM curriculum as much.

Emily Faulconer Emily Faulconer 5755 Points

The research I've seen on this topic suggest that a full curricular approach is ideal. Here is an excerpt of my draft literature review for an integration project I've been working on as PI:

There is a continued demand for graduates with degrees in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) (Israel, 2017). The Next Generation Science Standards and other educational reforms support the formation of deep connections across the STEM disciplines (NGSS Lead States, 2013). Our world is not neatly arranged by academic disciplines and understanding complex problems requires cross-disciplinary knowledge. Concepts from any field are enriched by the theories and methods from other fields, providing context, intellectual inquiry, and multi-perspective analysis (Stember, 1991). Coherence and cohesiveness of these connections combats fragmentation of knowledge (Fogarty, 1991). A cohesive integrated curriculum is one that connects a STEM discipline to one or more other disciplines in order to enhance student learning, with the following disciplinary elements: 1) scientific inquiry where students construct their own questions and investigations, 2) technological literacy where students make use of instruments, 3) engineering design to provide the systematic approach to problem solving, which contributes context and provides the opportunity to apply knowledge and skills while learning from failure, and 4) mathematical thinking (Johnson, Peters-Burton, & Moore, 2015; Kelley & Knowles, 2016). Integration can include cross-disciplinary, multidisciplinary, and interdisciplinary perspectives (Jensenius, 2012; Stember, 1991).

Taylor Funk Taylor Funk 510 Points

At the school that I worked for, we only integrated STEM into the curriculum. We didn't have a STEM lab at the time. The students were really engaged and motivated to learn when STEM was integrated into the classroom. They really enjoyed the activities and the work that they would do during my lessons. Now, the school requires students to go to a STEM lab during one special a week. The students that I work with don't really seem to enjoy it. Yes, it is fun, but it is not related to anything they have to learn. They would ask me why they would need to know these things. 

I would say that integrating it would be the best way to teach STEM!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers