Forums

Forums / New Teachers / student attitude adjustment

New Teachers

student attitude adjustment

Author Post
Sandra Crum sandra crum 1980 Points

How do you 'discipline' a student when they are acting out in class?  Do you talk to them one on one or do you talk to them in front of the class, where everyone can see and hear? 

Mary Bigelow Mary Bigelow 10275 Points

Hi Sandra -- I wouldn't talk to the student in front of the class. That would provide an audience! Stepping to a corner of the room or into the doorway to talk privately would be better. Sometimes, you don't need to 'talk' at all. Moving closer to the student, giving them a 'teacher glance', or making eye contact with a shake of the head may work. -- MaryB

Gabe Kraljevic Gabe Kraljevic 4564 Points

Listen to Mary! :^)

Developing non-verbal communication skills is the first line of defense and the least disruptive to your class.  If a student doesn't pick up on a simple gesture or look, then I would just quietly walk up to them and just say something like, 'please stop talking' or 'put the phone away.' quietly.  The second time I would actually walk up to them and in a sterner tone tell them the same thing and say 'strike two'.  On the third time, say, 'strike three,' tell the student to wait outside the classroom until you can talk to them.  No arguments, no discussion right then.  Stand your ground and have them leave the room. (By the way, the strikes don't disappear at the end of the class...they continue for the term!). In the hallway, (which I sometimes referred to as 'my office') you have taken their audience away and the student does not neet to put up a resistance to save face.  Talk directly to the behaviour:  'You need to stop talking while I'm teaching.' is better than something like 'When are you going to stop?'  Try to resolve it quickly so you both can return to class.  If the conversation is going nowhere then you might send them to the office, ask them to wait longer and think about it or (my favourite) ask them if their parents are at home or at work.  

Hope this helps,

Gabe

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers