Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Recognizing the Five Senses in Daily Routines

Elementary Science

Recognizing the Five Senses in Daily Routines

Author Post
Vanessa Trejo Vanessa Trejo 450 Points

I am working on creating a 5E lesson plan for my pre - kindergarten students. For my 5E lesson, the topic is the five senses and how it is important for our everyday life as well as what sense we use for everyday objects around us. For the engage portion of my lesson there will be a presentation of an online video/song as well as an opportunity to access prior knowledge. For the explore portion of my lesson I will direct students to venture out in the classroom to make use of their five senses where they will Independently discover items in which they can see, smell, touch, taste, or hear. For the explain portion of my lesson plan students will independently construct  their own five senses booklet based on the presented instructional explore material directed and model by my self. For the elaborate portion of my lesson plan there will be a presentation of a five senses book with questions where any kind of clarification the students may need can be addressed. And finally, for the evaluate portion of my lesson plan I will have students independently complete a writing exit ticket where they complete a cut and glue handout to summarize their learning. Does this sound like something a pre - kindergarten class will be able to do? It is my first time working with such young students. Is there something I could change or improve? Any and all ideas are welcomed. Thank you!

Lisa Ann Nishihara Lisa Ann Nishihara 780 Points

Sounds like a wonderful plan!  Enjoy!

Thank you for developing these sensory and kinesthetic learning habits via 5E instructional sequence. It's a great way for your young students to tap into their curiosity and explore the habits of scientists. And 5E can be applied to any ages or grade level; your students will be going through the process with you and you can evaluate and modify through the years. Have fun! 

Thank you for developing these sensory and kinesthetic learning habits via 5E instructional sequence. It's a great way for your young students to tap into their curiosity and explore the habits of scientists. And 5E can be applied to any ages or grade level; your students will be going through the process with you and you can evaluate and modify through the years. Have fun! 

Claire Schroeder Claire Schroeder 170 Points

Vanessa,

I think your lesson sounds like a great idea. It is very interactive which I think students will love and it will help keep their interest and focus. One thing I would suggest adding is having students come up with their own examples of their senses. For example, for hearing students could say they can hear the birds chirping outside. I think if students can come up with their own exmaples they will understand the different senses better.

Claire Schroeder

Pre-service Teacher

Wartburg College

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers