Forums

Forums / Life Science / Advice for traveling science teacher with limited supplies

Life Science

Advice for traveling science teacher with limited supplies

Author Post
Sherene McDonald Sherene McDonald 22305 Points

Does anyone know where I can resources to assist me in my classrooms while I am traveling from room to room for free?

Jennifer Rahn Jennifer Rahn 67955 Points

What types of resources do you need? You mention you have several classrooms. Are they all in the same building? What classes do you teach? Ages?

I teach 6 classes , 3 different subjects: (6th grade Science, 7th grade science and Heatlth) on 2 different floors. The ages range from 11-15 years old. The resources that may be helpful would be a a portable smart board, labtop, printer, a rolling cart where I can carry all text book and other supplies. I have one for one floor but have to get students to assist me from and to another floor. I am constantly having to run from room to room asking other teacher to use their equipment. I use to use a smart board last year when I was in a particular room, but now that I am traveling to so many more rooms it seems impossible to use this resource not to mention having to schedule with other teachers when and if I am able to use the smart boards assigned to their room. I know that this seems like alot but I would like to use whatever it takes to acquire and retain my students curiosity for science. Thank you so much for your time and consideration in advance. Sherene McDonald

Maureen Stover Maureen Stover 41070 Points

by Sherene McDonald, January 25, 7:04 AM
The resources that may be helpful would be a a portable smart board, labtop, printer, a rolling cart where I can carry all text book and other supplies.

Hi Sherene,
You might want to check out the Mimio interactive white boards. The Mimio boards use an existing, standard whiteboard to which you affix an interactive bar. The bars are about 18 inches long, fold into half for portability, and are very lightweight. The Mimios cost significantly less than the SmartBoards and are much less cumbersome to move from room to room. I use one and would highly recommend it!

Maureen

Thank you Maureen for your assistance.

Manuel Vasquez Manuel Vasquez 1950 Points

[You may want to check with the your school districts warehouse distribution center. All districts should have a warehouse of materials that can be used as loaners. Also, check with your local schools in the area that store AV, older laptops, computers, white boards...etcs that may be of usage for each floor you are teaching. I can almost bet...someone is not utilizing these resources....they are withering away in a storage facility. As long as they are own by the district...you may need to sign a few forms to get them transfer over to your schools account. Worth a look. That's a tough one...the mobile science teacher.

The problem is scheduling what days and times that I would want to use these resources and conflicting with another teachers schedule. Someone actually told me about Donorchose.org, so I am going to look into this. Thank you for your time and consideration in advance. Sherene

Nancy Bort Nancy Bort 7025 Points

It seems as if you need actual equipment and not so much supplies and materials? How about Donors Choose.org? Several of us in my district have gotten a lot of materials from them. You set up an account and send in your wish list. At first you can only order out of catalogues, but that would fit what you want. Someone sees your wish and grants it! Super! The first time I did it, I actually got a message back telling me that I did not ask for enough money! They wanted me to ask for at least $100 worth of stuff. I did, but I really only needed a $35 item. Go figure! There are also many resources available through grants. They have varying levels of difficulty to submit and then follow up. Some groups require a lot and others not so much. I have gotten great field trip money in the past through a Virginia Naturally grant (I am not sure if this still exists and you are probably not in VA)but maybe your area has similar grants. For regular supply type stuff, I often ask for donations from other teachers and parents. The parents in my district do not have a lot of money, but simple things help out. Items such as plastic tubs, paper cups, seeds, plants, string, ribbon, etc. have been sent in by parents. I did a DNA model project and asked for ribbon donations (sugar/phosphate part). One parent sent in many rolls of crepe paper streamers that actually worked better! Our PTA also will help to fund projects. I have even had students call local businesses who have donated items. I use a lot of regular grocery store type stuff and a local grocery store agreed to help out. Often if you ask, you will get! The worse you can get is a "no" and you are no worse off than before!

Bambi Bailey Bambi Bailey 9515 Points

Sherene, It's Bambi again. I've been a traveling teacher before. If you can't get a cart, see if a parent has an old luggage cart and then get some, preferably plastic, file boxes. You can have a file box that stays on each floor with basics, then a box with actual files for attendance, assignments in color coded folders, etc. Another file box can have small manipulatives in baggies for basic activities. Two file boxes can be carried on a luggage cart easily or taken off the cart to go upstairs. Do you get to work in a lab room or must you also carry lab materials with you? Bambi

Hi Bambi, I have to carry everything. I like your ideas thanks alot I am going to start them on Monday. I actually have a old rolling suitcase that I can use and the bins are also an excellent idea. IN the beginning of the year I was using color folders but after a couple of weeks I lost track. So I will just have get back on the wagon with the organization again. Thanks again for all of your support, time, consideration in advance. God Bless Sherene A. McDonald

Dat Le Dat Le 21565 Points

Sometimes collaborating with teachers who use the same room is very useful. Often the lab is already set up and ready to go. Just ask the teacher not to clear the lab equipment until you are done! Just be nice to the teacher and offer to help set up or clean up the lab equipment.

Hi Dat Le, I do not think that you read my prior post. I do not travel to other science rooms. I am a traveling science teacher that has to bring the labs from class to class. I wish that there was a lab in our school that was available to me to take the students to. I have a schedule and any and everything that I have to do in regards to teaching my students is in their classroom since 3 out 6 of my classes are self-contained special ed. I have one ICT where the other teacher has everything set up I do borrow and model after her but it is still difficult with me have to track everything to 2 different floors and 6 different classrooms. Thank you for your advice, but I am greatful that I have a job and just "Do what I have to do!" SHerene

Katherine Willet Katherine Zimmerman 21340 Points

Sherene, Are there any extra closets on any of the floors at your school? If someone could clean their ancient relics out of a closet to give you even a few feet of space, you might be able to put a few common items on each floor. That way you could avoid lugging items you use frequently between floors. I know a lot of teachers at my school have closets in their classrooms, and the closets are full of absolute junk. It might be good for them to go through the closet and provide you some storage. Katie

Good morning Katie, Thank you for the suggestion. There are a few teachers whose rooms I have a little space for my things, my only thing now is to remember where everything is when I need to use them. It all comes back to organizational and management skills, I am a work in progress in that area. Thank you again Sherene

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92246 Points

Hi Sherene,
Your Discussion Thread title 'Advice for traveling science teacher with limited supplies' made me remember an article I came across from January of this year in The Science Teacher journal. It is called 'The New Teacher's Toolbox: Homeless Not Hopeless - Tips for the Traveling Teacher'. Perhaps there might be some helpful suggestions to share if you find any that help you. I have always been fortunate to have my 'own' lab. I know it is a luxury! How are you managing? How are others managing in this same position?
Carolyn

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers