Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Safety in the Science Classroom.

Elementary Science

Safety in the Science Classroom.

Author Post
Cassidy Harrington Cassidy Harrington 30 Points

Hello!

My name is Cassidy Harrington and I am a fourth year preservice teacher at Wartburg College in Waverly, Iowa. As I am finishing up my final semester of classes, and beginning to prep for my student teaching next semester, I was wondering if anyone had any good tips on how to teach safety effectively in the classroom. Are there any good texts or strategies that have worked well for anyone that have helped students to understand the importance of safety? Also, with science, is there anything else that specifically helps to teach students the importance of science safety in accordance with items such as labs. Lastly, as a special education major, are there any strategies to teach students with different learning abilities safety effectively?

Cassidy Harrington

Wartburg College '19

Pre-Service Teacher 

Stephanie Kohls Stephanie Kohls 2025 Points

Cassidy,

I am also interested in knowing the best practice for explaining the importance of safety in science classes. From my experiences, I have learned that students learn the best science saftey practices when they are repeated several times, preferablly before each lab. Taking the time to explain how students should act with the materials. Students will then understand the importance of what you are saying, let them know the consequences (i.e. not getting to partcipate) for not acting appropriate or dangerously with materials. 

Good Luck with Student Teaching Next Semester!

Stephanie Kohls

Pre-service Teacher, University of Northern Iowa

Emily Faulconer Emily Faulconer 5755 Points

Great question! I think this really depends on what grade level you're teaching. For elementary sciences, I would ask them to brainstorm all the ways things could go wrong. 

NSTA offers the following:

Kathryn Jones Kathryn Jones 230 Points

Lead by example! You can have students make a 'dictionary' of the tools and materials used in your classroom so that they know what they are and they can provide rules/tips/suggestions to use them safely.

Mary Bigelow Mary Bigelow 10275 Points

The idea of having students make the dictionary is a good one, giving them ownership in the process. The dictionary could be part of a science notebook or a set of posters in the classroom. --Mary B

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers