Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / 3rd Grade 5E Mixtures Lesson Plan

Elementary Science

3rd Grade 5E Mixtures Lesson Plan

Author Post
Cecilia Gutierrez Cecilia Gutierrez 1810 Points

Hello, I am a student teacher and I have created a 5E lesson on mixtures. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how I could improve my Explore.  Currently, I have students creating their own trail mix and as they are working they are supposed to be thinking about why what they are creating is called a mixture. I feel like this single activity may not be enough exploration.

Thank you in advance!

Kathy Renfrew Kathy Renfrew 37148 Points

Hi Cecilia,

I was wondering what grade level you are working with. If it is 5th grade which is where the standards would deal with mixtures I have lots of ideas. I will wait to hear back from you.

Kathy

Ms. Renfrew, 

I am working with third grade and the standard for my lesson is 'The student is expected to explore and recognize that a mixture is created when two materials are combined such as gravel and sand and metal and plastic paper clips.'

Cecilia

Here is my full lesson plan rough draft:

Peggy Ashbrook Margaret Ashbrook 10963 Points

If your students are hikers and have had previous experience eating trail mix snacks, then reading a book about hiking for engagement could lead to a discussion about mixtures. But unless you know this about the class, an engagement more directly about a mixture could be more effective. Also—does your school allow food, other than student lunches, to be used in teaching?

How will you elicit students’ prior knowledge?

What mixtures are common in your students’ everyday life? A loose change jar, breakfast cereal, or a bag of hair clips and ties?

If no student has allergies to nuts, students could observe and sort a spoonful of a bird seed mixture as you read a short book about birds such as Collard and Brickman’s book, Beaks!

The paper clip activity will build on the engagement by giving them the opportunity to see how a tool makes the process of separation much easier.

I look forward to Kathy Renfrew’s ideas and those of other student teachers and preservice teachers!

Best wishes, Peggy

Peggy Ashbrook Margaret Ashbrook 10963 Points

Hi Cecilia,

What activities or other engagement have you thought about or read about in addition to the trail mix idea? It might be just the activity your students need.
It can be helpful to think about how you will elicit students’ prior knowledge, and what the rest of the lesson/day/week/month will be, before committing to a single engagement opportunity.

Thanks for posting on the website so others can learn from the way you work through the lesson planning process. 
Best wishes,
Peggy

Ms. Ashbrook,

For my engagement, I read a book about hiking and afterwards ask students about what snacks people may take during a hike. This is used to gear the conversation towards trail mix and making their own. During Elaborate students complete a second activity in which they create a mixture using plastic and metal paper clips. Then they are supposed to find a way to separate their mixture (they will be given a magnet). 

Thank you,
Cecilia 

Mary Bigelow Mary Bigelow 10275 Points

Cecelia --

Thanks for posting your lesson! It's helpful to see the whole context, and Peggy has some great suggestions.

The trail mix idea reinforces the idea that mixtures can contain more than 2 components (noted in the misconception part of your lesson). I noticed that after the students make the trail mix, they put the bags aside and move on to another activity to show how mixtures can be separated into their components. Perhaps the students could separate the trail mix back into the 'bits' to show the reversability of a meixture and then move on to the magnets and paper clips. This activity shows that you don't have to use your hands (also noted as a misconception).

Also, the lesson mentions separating salt and sand. Will students have to figure out how to do this? That could be interesting!  Also, at some point will you illustrate mixtures that are not solids or that contain materials in different states?

Just some thoughts. --Mary B>

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers