Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Engineering Design Process

Elementary Science

Engineering Design Process

Author Post
Kasey Mannion Kasey Mannion 1020 Points

Hi All, 

I am wondering if anyone has any super unique and engaging ways to introduce the engineering design process to elementary students? I am creating an extensive engineering unit for 5th grade students and want to be sure that I grab the students' attention from the very first day and get them excited about engineering a complex model.  

Many thanks always, 

Kasey  

Gabe Kraljevic Gabe Kraljevic 4564 Points

Hello Kasey,

I'm not sure if this fits in the 'supper unique', but I have a collection of resources I share in my design process workshops.  They are assembled here in my library, and I have attached a few to this post.  https://learningcenter.nsta.org/mylibrary/collection.aspx?id=pR1S8giP8DE_E

You'll find several design projects across the grades.  You should check other grades just in case there are slight variations in curriculum from place to place.

Hope this helps!

Gabe Kraljevic

Hannah Roeding Hannah Roeding 2000 Points

Kasey, I am a preservice teacher and we recently learned about this in class! A really fun way to get students involved in the engineering process is to make them little engineers! You can lay out a problem to the students and they have to be the engineers who come up with a solution! You give them the problem, their materials and time limit, and who their audience is that they want to sell their product or service to! For example, you tell your kiddos that a gardener needs a way to keep animals out of their garden. With the supplies provided, they must build something that will keep the animals out, without hurting them and persuade the gardener to buy their product! A fun, real life example of how students can solve a problem and create a model!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers