Forums

Forums / Life Science / Need urgent help with photosynthesis and respiration!!!

Life Science

Need urgent help with photosynthesis and respiration!!!

Author Post
Stefanie Graban Stefanie Graban 170 Points

Hi, I teach biology to 10th grade, regular education students (not honors, but not special education either). Last semester, my students seemed to have an easy time with photosynthesis and respiration. This semester, it seems that they are entirely lost. They did not even know that plants get water from their roots (let alone discussing osmosis in the roots)! If anyone has any methods or techniques to share, I would love to hear them! This group has been challenging and I want to do everything I can for them. Something quick would be best - I have to assess them on this on 3/20! (I know. Curse those snow days.)

Hilda Foster Hilda Foster 1530 Points

Your students, although in 10th grade sound a lot like mine in 4th grade. Why don't you try visiting an elementary school in your district to find a DVD or two on the plant topics you've mentioned. Some of them are very good. Best of Luck.

Ruth Hutson Ruth Hutson 64325 Points

Hi Stephanie,

Have you considered using the NSTA Science Objects Cells and Chemical Reactions: Photosynthesis and Cells and Chemical Reactions: Cellular Respiration? These are free resources. They have some interactive components that you could use with your students. They also discuss some of the preconceptions and misconceptions that students have about these cellular processes.

Post back to the forums and let us know what you decided to do to help your students.

Stacia Brown Stacia Brown 560 Points

Hi Stephanie,
I found a nice video about respiration and photosynthesis on youtube. I find that a visual/auditory representation usually helps the students better. Here's the link. I hope it helps. http://youtu.be/dZdYImQaOEk

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers