Forums

Forums / New Teachers / Science not in the curriculum?

New Teachers

Science not in the curriculum?

Author Post
Lucy Bridges Lucy Bridges 1325 Points

I am graduating this May and am concerned my district does not give a specific science curriculum as the district where I completed Residency did not. Instead, science and social studies were the alternating topics for the reading lessons. How do you find time for science? I want to make it as hands-on as possible!

Stephanie Wendt Stephanie Wendt 5713 Points

Lucy, as you await a response from a peer, I wanted to share with you that in July 2023 the TN Department of Education presented the State Board of Education their plan for assigning letter grades to schools based on their overall performance in 4 different areas (indicators). Thereis a formula that is used to determine these grades. Indicator 1 in this process is based on achievement. The breakdown for this is 40%% Reading, 40% Math, and 20% Science. This doesn't reflect the emphasis of time in the classroom that I think science deserves, however, science can't be ignored a a subject since it is a tested subject in the elementary grades.

Here is a link where you can read about TN’s Calculation for School Letter Grades https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/education/school-letter-grades/A-F%20Letter%20Grade%20Calculation_SBE%20Presentation%20November%202023.pdf

Stephanie Wendt Stephanie Wendt 5713 Points

Lucy, as you await a response from a peer, I wanted to share with you that in July 2023 the TN Department of Education presented the State Board of Education their plan for assigning letter grades to schools based on their overall performance in 4 different areas (indicators). Thereis a formula that is used to determine these grades. Indicator 1 in this process is based on achievement. The breakdown for this is 40%% Reading, 40% Math, and 20% Science. This doesn't reflect the emphasis of time in the classroom that I think science deserves, however, science can't be ignored a a subject since it is a tested subject in the elementary grades.

Here is a link where you can read about TN’s Calculation for School Letter Grades https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/education/school-letter-grades/A-F%20Letter%20Grade%20Calculation_SBE%20Presentation%20November%202023.pdf

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers