Forums

Forums / Pre-service Teachers / Creating a SAFER elementary classroom

Pre-service Teachers

Creating a SAFER elementary classroom

Author Post
Flavio Mendez Flavio Mendez 52501 Points

What are the safety protocols for doing SAFER science/STEM acitivities in the Elementary classroom?  Watch the Sep 30, 2021 web seminar archive titled: Lab Safety Consideration for Preservice Elementary Science/STEM Teachers. What questions do you have?

https://my.nsta.org/resource/123826

Also see the NSTA Safety Resources page.

Flavio.

Abrianna Moore Abrianna Moore 635 Points

Hello

My name is Abrianna Moore and I am a student at Wartburg College in Waverly, Iowa. I attended the Sep 30, 2021 web seminar titled: Lab Safety Consideration for Preservice Elementary Science/STEM Teachers and would love to share my insights to those who may not have attended. My biggest take away from the entire Professional Development was the simple fact that we cannot make science SAFE, we can only make it SAFER. Some ways to make a classroom safer include, but are not limited to, safely storing materials and equipment with locking cabinets, not bringing food or drink into the lab, and having signal words posted such as 'danger' and 'warning' to discriminate levels of hazard. All the ways in which we make an effort to broadcast safety in our classroom will ultimately make the classroom a safe place to learn and investigate. If you are an individual who has not watched this seminar yet, I highly reccommend doing so. As a pre-service teacher, this seminar was a great first-step for me in starting my own science classroom. I am excited for the upcoming professional development NSTA has in store for pre-service teachers like myself.

Estrell Mamonese Estrell Mamonese 240 Points

I am also a literature teacher. But unfortunately I do not know all the safety rules for being in the laboratory. I've just never really been there and I don't need it. My students sit at tables and read. I recently read the glass castle essay, found https://studydriver.com/the-glass-castle-essay/ for this. Now I want everyone to read this book. My lessons are safe and that's the most important thing. I don't want to worry about someone all the time.

Storon Trenimer Storon Trenimer 280 Points

thanks

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers