Forums

Forums / New Teachers / Help! Need to teach AFTER the big state test!

New Teachers

Help! Need to teach AFTER the big state test!

Author Post
Stefanie Graban Stefanie Graban 170 Points

I have a unique situation coming after Christmas break. My state test happens on a Monday. This means that there are still four days where I have to keep my students engaged after they have taken their final exam. Three of those days will be our standard 90 minute blocks. One day will be a 2 hour block. So basically, I need 4+ hours of non-curriculum based "things" to do that will keep my students occupied and will keep me from going insane. I teach biology to 10th grade students, about half of whom receive special education services. Any ideas?

Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

How about introducing them to nanotechnology which is related to biology in many ways? It is probably not in your regular curriculum. I am attaching my collection of information on nanotechnology. I hope this helps you. Good luck. Disregard the weird number of items indicated. There are really only 15.

Maureen Stover Maureen Stover 41070 Points

Hi Stefanie,

Betty and Tina both gave you some great ideas for activities to do with your class after you complete the state test. What a great opportunity for you to really engage your students with some extension activities!

Here are two of my favorite resources for Biology extension:
Scientific Augmentation in Biology: 30 Classroom Activities
Once Upon a Life Science Book

The NSTA Learning Center is full of great ideas and classroom activities that you and your students will surely enjoy. Try using the Advanced Search tool to search by keyword and grade level.

You can also use your next few classes to explore some things like current events in biology, antarctic drilling, or maybe even something like the bacteria that live in the superheated water in Yellowstone. I really enjoy having some 'free time' to explore some to the fun biology that can be left behind in today's high stakes testing environment.

Best of luck!
Maureen

Stefanie Graban Stefanie Graban 170 Points

Thank you for the ideas everyone! I'm waiting to hear more about our testing situation before I decide what to do. (I may have to switch rooms on some of the testing days.) I do think it would be a great time to discover those more in depth topics. I am thinking that maybe I'll come up with some topic ideas and let the students decide!

Sandy Gady Sandy Gady 43175 Points

I love Tina’s idea of doing mini-units. This is the perfect time to do something you love to teach that students may not get the opportunity to learn otherwise. Think of those things that make your heart beat faster because you love them so much. Develop really rich and engaging tasks that wrap around the idea or concept and students will love you forever.

Meaghan Cells Meaghan Cells 250 Points

You could also use the time to do some extra lab activities if you have the resources, or do a mini unit on forensics! Plenty of biology skills and content there- blood types and spatter patterns, using microscopes to compare human hair, animal hair, synthetic hairs/fibers, feathers, etc.

Tory Addison Tory Addison 5745 Points

Also, check out pages from the MindWare books - I teach middle school Special Needs Sciences and sometimes after testing they are just shot out however, these pages help to keep them 'settled' for a while.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers