Forums

Forums / Chemistry / Help With Research

Chemistry

Help With Research

Author Post
Pamela Auburn Pamela Auburn 68625 Points

One of my colleagues is asking for help with a research project in science education - see below I'm working one of my grad students on some chemistry education research by utilizing an online survey through social media. The survey collects some demographic information (where you live and how much science you've taken) and has three open-ended science questions from real-life examples. Should take approximately 15 minutes to complete. If you or any of your contacts or students would be interested in completing the survey, it would be greatly appreciated. Here is the link: [url=I'm working one of my grad students on some chemistry education research by utilizing an online survey through social media. The survey collects some demographic information (where you live and how much science you've taken) and has three open-ended science questions from real-life examples. Should take approximately 15 minutes to complete. If you or any of your contacts or students would be interested in completing the survey, it would be greatly appreciated. Here is the link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1q0wmN5-qZ1r_sxOvT2gINCvs3jPzj5ulBXVdCbbZNDQ/viewform

GWYNNETH MORTEL Gwynneth Carla 1795 Points

I just completed the survey. Tricky questions! I am hoping that I responded correctly.

I also tried the survey. The first question made me really think. But realized that the questions asked are questions that are common chemistry questions. They all related to water. It touched on how water has different physical properties compared to other materials. I would totally use the question about bubbles in a boiling container full of water. I predict that most students would say that air is inside the bubbles. I would use this question when going over phases of matter. We use water as the most basic form of matter. The one question that was tricky was about why a ship an float across the surface of water, if the density of water is less dense than steel. First I though about floating property, buoyancy. But then I thought about this poster I saw, about the 100 weird things about water. For example, ice floats on the surface of water, so then that relates to the surface tension of water. Teaching surface tension to students reminds me of teaching my students, about counting how many water drops can go on a coin? Another is creating a boat that would travel across a tray of water. I enjoyed that little challenge.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers