Forums

Forums / Earth and Space Science / Earth and Space Science in Upper Elementary

Earth and Space Science

Earth and Space Science in Upper Elementary

Author Post
Maxwell Miller Maxwell Miller 765 Points

Hello everyone! My name is Max Miller, and I am a fourth-year elementary education major at Wartburg College in Waverly, Iowa. I am currently working towards my K-8 reading endorsement, but am also extremely invested in STEAM education. I noticed that in the Next Generation Science Standards, there isn't a very large emphasis on astronomy or outer space in general. To my eyes, there was a total of 2 standards in grades 2-5 that directly address concepts dealing with outer space. What are some activities or lesson ideas that I could incorporate into my future classroom that would still address NGSS standards in some aspect? Thank you!

Eliza McFadden Eliza McFadden 770 Points

Hello Maxwell! I am a fourth-year Elementary Education major at the University of Delaware with a concentration in Middle School Science education. I am becoming dual-certified to teach both elementary and MS science, and I have come to the same conclusion as you. ln my time spent inside an Elementary school classroom I find myself increasingly disappointed with the lack of emphasis on science education at the elementary level as a whole. I hope that teachers begin to see the purpose in using STEAM inside the classroom, and overall just providing more time for science. As far as I know, the scope and sequence of science standards in elementary schools is more surface level with a brief overview of each different scientific concept (physical science, earth science, biological science etc) but this makes it difficult to find good materials for any of the standards. 

Specifically for NGSS standards based around earth and space, I have compiled a collection of content and lesson plan materials found here on NSTA that may help in your search. The resources are based more towards a middle school setting but I believe many of them can be simplified to fit a lower grade band. In addition to this, I would suggest choosing a grounding phenomenon to base astronomy units on to provide students with real-world connections (make use of the eclipse in 2024) and speak to your placement school district to learn which science curriculum they use for their middle school (openscied, amplify, etc) and see if you can gain access as these have many activities that can provide ideas for an elementary lesson. I hope this helps!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers