Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / New Teacher!

Early Childhood

New Teacher!

Author Post
Annie Berg Annie Berg 225 Points

Hi, I am currently studying elementary education with a focus on ESL at the University of Arkansas. This semester I will be observing in a 4th grade classroom and am wondering how best to keep students engaged and excited during a longer lesson. If a more in depth and longer science lesson is being taught, I'd love any tips on how to do this. Thanks! 

Aubrey Fortuno Aubrey Fortuno 1060 Points

Hi Annie,

I am also in the elementary education field, and am a pre-service teacher in a 2nd-3rd grade classroom. In my current science methods course, we're focusing on 'phenomena' and the 5E model (Engage, Explore, Explain, Elaborate, Evaluate), where basically, you start by showing the students something that'll catch their interest and that they'll wonder about. It's truly magical how long their attention can be kept once they begin wondering and forming questions. Through activities, they'll explore the related concepts and hopefully make connections to the phenomena... The key, of course, is to keep science as hands-on as possible, inspire questions, and cut lecturing down to a minimum. 

Looking forward to seeing what tips others may have!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers