Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Science Fieldtrips- Yes or No?

Early Childhood

Science Fieldtrips- Yes or No?

Author Post
Kristine Rowland Kristine Rowland 2290 Points

Hi, My name is Kristine and I teach kindergarten in Georgia. My son was invited to a science trip for 3 days at Jekly Island. Parents, of course, had to pay for the trip. But in order to go on the trip, the student had to have an A or B in the class and no dicipline issues. He had several friends who were not invited because they had Cs in the class. I understand that this is a type of reward and you want students going that are serious about science.  I don't think I agree with that reasoning. Maybe science is more challenging for those students. Maybe they need motivation and encouragement, and this trip would have provided them with that motivation.  And just maybe the teacher missed out on getting that kid to love science.   

Have you taken students on science trips before?

Were there requirements or did everyone get to go?

What do you think about selecting only some of the students to go on the trip? 

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92276 Points

Hi Kristine,

I am assuming your son is NOT in kindergarten.  If he is, his teachers must be amazing to be willing to take kindergartners on a 3-day trip.  

As a former middle school teacher, I helped chaperone many trips over the years - to Mexico and Washington D.C.  The most important criteria included if they were respectful of each other, their teachers, and the school's rules and policies. My grandson was invited on an amazing trip in high school, and he had to have a high grade point average as well.  Since it was a cultural trip, it would make sense that the school would want students who were interested in learning, especially more about other cultures. I think he was required to write an essay as well.

I would imagine that Jekyll Island has many educational features that make it an attractive destination for a field trip in Georgia.  I can see why your son's teachers would want to offer it to students who have shown an interest in learning as evidenced by higher grades.  However, hopefully that was not the only consideration.  Whatever the mechanism for determining who can participate, let's hope that it is equitable and takes into consideration more than one factor to allow as many interested student participants as possible. Having received the occasional C myself, I would have been ecstatic to have had an opportunity like that.  I hope your son has/had a great time!  

Sincerely,

Carolyn Mohr,

Adj. Professor, Dominican Universtiy & Southern Illinois University/Carbondale

Riley Preuss Riley Preuss 1380 Points

Hello Kristine! 

I am a 4th year major at Wartburg and this post really brought many things to my attention. First, I have never heard of going on a multi-day field trip with students that young of age. I think that is a lot for them and a lot of responsibility for teachers and trust from the parents. I feel it would also be pretty costly for the students and parents for that many days on a field trip. Another thing that really brought to my attention was the grade in order to attend the trip. I do not see the need for that to be a requirement in order to gain experience in science. I think it should be for all students as the more experience, the better for anyone. Nobody should be held back for a grade because that is not fair for everyone. If the school or teacher decides to take a field trip, everyone no matter who should be welcome to come on the field trip. I would have to agree with you on your reasoning as I have also never heard of that before and I would also agree that this should improve that grade if anything. It would be a fun and engaging experience for all students and would allow them to gain more interest in the subject. I feel all students should get to go with parent content (and funds if needed) to get that extra experience because it's ultimately just not fair for everyone. This kind of defeats the purpose of NCLB because all children deserve the same education and experiences if able. I hope this helps ease things a little bit! 

Tessa Guinn Tessa 20 Points

Hi Kristen, I understand both sides of this situation you are posing. 3 days is a long time to be in charge of a group of students. It may be difficult for teachers and chaperones to handle students that have a lot of behavior issues. If it were my class, I don't think I would be able to exclude a large chunk of studnets becuse of low grades. I think the best solution would be to have two field trips. One that the whole class can have fun and engage with. Then have a second that takes place Friday - Sunday or another time period. THis would encourage all of the students to get their grdes up, without excluding the class from having this experience.

Clare Davis Clare Davis 110 Points

This post had me thinking about all kinds of things.  My first reaction was kids having a C in Science in Kindergarten :-(.  In my state, they don't get letter grades in Kindergarten.  We use Developing Expectations, Approaching Expectations, Meeting Expectations, or Exceeding Expectations.  We are just finishing term 1 and sending the first report cards.  No students will have EEs and most will have AE or ME. They have only been in school for a few months and are still learning how to function in school and do schoolwork. 

At my previous school, Kindergarten went on a field trip to the County Fair. The students did science lessons about farming and animals before the trip.  All students were taken on the trip, but it was local in our county.  We also have nature centers and a planetarium in our county that other schools go to for science field trips. I think all students should be invited to every field trip. It feels like they are assuming the students with Cs will have more behavior problems than those with As or Bs and that is not necessarily true.

I also think it's odd to plan a multi-day field trip for Kindergarten students.  Traveling overnight with 5-6-year-olds for multiple days opens up lots of potential for nighttime issues like night terrors, bad dreams, accidents, and homesickness. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers