Forums

Forums / Chemistry / lab safety for visually impaired students

Chemistry

lab safety for visually impaired students

Author Post
Judy Cheng Judy 70 Points

Hi, I have a visually impaired student enrolled in my AP Chemistry class and was wondering if anyone out there has set up a safe laboratory environment for such a student so they can participate in the laboratory activities, such special glassware or equipment. Thanks for any suggestions. Judy

Justine Sandoval Justine Sandoval 570 Points

I never thought about how to accommodate lessons for the visual impaired. But I can imagine that I will have a student that may have this or a similar need and for that student I would take the hands on approach in a very literal approach. So when they are filling out recording it will be what they feel more than what they see. And have a partner that can describe what they see in order to give them that experience.

Elizabeth Chuang Elizabeth Chuang 4675 Points

Hi, Judy. I'm a student teacher currently, but I found this great article on NSTA for teaching students with visual impairments.

I quickly browsed through it, and it has a paragraph on accommodations. I'm sure it may be a good starting point for your needs.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers