Forums

Forums / Life Science / Parts of a Plant 5E Lesson

Life Science

Parts of a Plant 5E Lesson

Author Post
Courtney Little Courtney Little 1740 Points

Hi all! I am a student teacher attending the Univerisity of Houston making a lesson plan for a kindergarten classroom with very little exposure to science. I'm here asking for help for creating a hands on activity that won't last too long to incorporate into any section of a 5E Lesson Plan over Kindergarten TEKS 10(B) identify basic parts of plant and animals (focusing on the plants for this lesson). I've looked at giving students a plant, with roots in tact, and having them tell me their observations about the flower they were given (as an engage). From there we would move into identifying the various parts of the flower and possibly even having the kids attach labels to the flower. I know that there are more fabulous ideas out there and I appreciate any help or ideas posted! Thank you in advance!!

Pamela Dupre Pamela Dupre 92369 Points

Courtney, the idea you have is not a bad idea but for kindergarten, I would bring a variety of fruits and veggies, and discuss the parts that we eat. I would have a chart that has columns for matching to the root/stem/leaf/flower/fruit/seed. Allow students to touch them and hold them while discussing the identity of the plant and which part they eat. There will be some surprises there I would imagine. Here is a similar lesson that might give you more inspiration. Once you categorize the plants, you can discuss the function of each part.

http://okfarmtoschool.com/wp-content/uploads/Plant-Parts-We-Eat.pdf

Michelle Schuster 85 Points

Hello Courtney, the Picture Perfect science books https://common.nsta.org/resource/?id=10.2505/9781935155171 are great resources for elementary classrooms integrating the NGSS, science and reading all in one lesson.   I found one called Seeds on the move.  It uses the 5 E's to teach a lesson about seeds on the move.  The lesson explores the variety of ways plants disperse their seeds to produce more plants.  It says the students get to 'sock walk' to see how plants disperse their seeds.  Sounds like a really engaging lesson. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers