Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / hands-on

Elementary Science

hands-on

Author Post
Joshana Henderson Joshana Henderson 3350 Points

Science is a subject that is very hands-on and can be fun for students. In my teaching science in elementary schools course in college we did alot of hands-on experiments that we can hopefully encounter on our own science classroom. From exploding colors to creating our very own leaf books. Every experiment/assignment was very engaging and will definitely be more enjoyable wworking with younger children and doing the experiments. One of my favorite assignments was doing the egg drop. The egg drop is already well-known because alot of students do it already in their own science classrooms but I find it amazing and really engaging becasue it have the students trying to figure out like man what can I use to prevent my egg from breaking. See us on the other hand, when we did ours we couldnt use no extra extended pieces or parachutes or anything just a container in elementary the teachers allow the students to use extended pieces or parachutes just gotta figure out what else to add so the egg won't crack. So it is a very fun and engaging project !

Pamela Dupre Pamela Dupre 92369 Points

Joshana, it sounds like you had some great science methods teachers in college. I luckily, had one. I remember that my lesson to teach was gravity! I didn't know anything about science formally. I remember being obsessed with space as a kid. I was 8 years old when Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin walked on the moon while Michael Collins basically orbited with the "get away car." So how was I supposed to teach gravity without getting in a rocket or space shuttle? My professor even said I could choose a different topic. The day of my lesson, I wheeled in a garment rack. I had tied Capri Sun drinks to the rack using fishing line. The juice bags were hanging there, seemingly floating in air! I remember the look on my professor's face when she saw my set up. As I asked questions about gravity, I would cut the invisible fishing line and the juice pouch would fall to the floor like a brick. Gravity! It was hilarious too! I'd like to think that I keep that sense of fun and curiosity alive when I teach children.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers