Forums

Forums / New Teachers / New "old" teacher

New Teachers

New "old" teacher

Author Post
Keith Reardon Keith Reardon 968 Points

Hi!

I am a 34-year-old non-traditional student who will finally graduate in the Spring of 2023. Balancing school, work, family, and friends. I am excited to get into the classroom but am hesitant about technology in the classroom. I know it is such an important tool to be proficient in. Are there any older students getting back into university and have any advice? Thanks!

April Gonzales April Gonzales 20 Points

Hi Keith! Thank you for your post. I am 37 years old, and will finish my MAT in Spring of 2023 as well. I just started teaching my own 6th grade science classroom last week with a provisional certificate. Learning how to use the technology within the lessons is really difficult. One thing that I have to do (that the younger teachers don't seem to do) is to create the entire lesson at least as early as the day before and complete the lesson as the student and the teacher simultaneously the day before. It does take me a long time to complete each lesson, but as time goes on I gain more experience with the lesson plan and the technology. Eventually, I don't have to complete this process because I know what I'm doing. This was my experience as a substitute teacher and a practicum teacher. I have to use the technology as a student to feel confident to teacher using it. I hope that makes sense.

Ashley Whitehead Ashley Johns 1080 Points

Hi Keith! 

I think it would be a good idea to see what programs your school uses and see if there are any pieces of training. Also, don't be afraid to ask veteran teachers for help. Although, I'm not an older student I believe these can be beneficial, and very helpful when it comes to technology in the classroom. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers