Forums

Forums / Life Science / How do you use Ted Talks or TED Ed videos?

Life Science

How do you use Ted Talks or TED Ed videos?

Author Post
Rebecca Buzzell Rebecca Buzzell 365 Points

I recently started using the TED Ed videos with my 7th graders. You can "flip" them so they are customized with your name and you can edit the questions that accompany the videos. I've assigned a couple as homework - we usually watch the video in class (they are short - about 6 minutes on average) and then I assign the quiz and "dig deeper" section as homework. Does anyone else use these resources? Do you use them in class or as homework? I love the TED talks - when we study animal adaptations, there is a great talk that shows how octopuses and cuttlefish change color and blend in with their surroundings. I find that kids are pretty engaged but I'm looking for other ways to use them. I have had kids summarize the video and reflect on what they found most interesting as a way of integrating writing.

Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

Rebecca, What a wonderful resource. I had heard of it but never actually checked it out because of time constraints. You know how that is as a teacher. As for other ways to use the site, depending on the age of students and ability and computer resources, you might want to have students take an assigned video and create their own questions for it. Or possibly have students choose a You Tube video for science and create their own lessons for other students. This would depend on rules for your school and the age of the students.

Pamela Auburn Pamela Auburn 68625 Points

http://mfile.akamai.com/23543/wmv/citrixvar.download.akamai.com/23543/www/760/769/2173770020233760769/4A265150F76D5001.asx?submit=View+Recording This is my link to a great PD webinar on using TEDEd I hope it works

Patty McGinnis Patricia McGinnis 25635 Points

Hi Rebecca, TED Ed is a great resource! I've actually used some "regular" TED talks in my classroom to generate discussions about research (I teach a gifted seminar class at the middle school level). Their use has been well-received.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers