Forums

Forums / Chemistry / Lab Safety

Chemistry

Lab Safety

Author Post
Maci Budzik Maci Budzik 125 Points

Hello everyone! I am a preservice teacher and am currently observing in a biology classroom. Next semester I will be taking over the classroom and full-time student teaching. The importance of safety in the lab has ben engrained in my head since I began studying education. Since I have been observing, I have witnessed the enforcement of safety is much more challenging than I had expected. In the current classroom I am in, lab safety is not strictly enforced. If anyone has any suggestions for enforcing lab safety when I take over next semester I would really appreciate it!

Joselyn Hermoso Joselyn Hermoso 785 Points

Hello...I agree with you about the enforcement of lab safety in science classrooms. I'm also struggling with it when it comes to my students who are behaviorally challenged. Usually, I give them the Lab Safety Contract by Flinn (you can google it), then give them a test about Do's and Don't while doing a lab activity, also show them some video clips on lab safety. It's a continuous practice and reinforcement of the lab safety. Good luck! Joselyn

Joselyn Hermoso Joselyn Hermoso 785 Points

Hello...I agree with you about the enforcement of lab safety in science classrooms. I'm also struggling with it when it comes to my students who are behaviorally challenged. Usually, I give them the Lab Safety Contract by Flinn (you can google it), then give them a test about Do's and Don't while doing a lab activity, also show them some video clips on lab safety. It's a continuous practice and reinforcement of the lab safety. Good luck! Joselyn

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers