Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Grabbing student’s attention

Elementary Science

Grabbing student’s attention

Author Post
Ailani Cantu Ailani Cantu 1100 Points

We know that every student has their own learning style and not everyone's favorite subject is Science. Other than books and videos, how can I keep my students engaged when introducing a new topic?

Austin Dryden Austin Dryden 300 Points

I think one of the best ways to get students engaged is with a good hook! Ask them questions to get them thinking, relate the topic to their interests, start with a game that then ties to the lesson, or even a good notice and note can be helpful. I think that the more excited you are for the lesson, they will match your excitement with their own. Lessons should be physically, socially, and cognitively engaging so any chance they have to talk to one another and move around the room is a great way to get students involved!

Hepzy A Bahena Hepzy A Bahena 390 Points

Hello Austin, I agree with your statment because in order to get the students attention we need to keep them engaged. Asking them questions that relate to their personal interest will change the environment in the room and more participation will be showned. Showing a smile and a good attitude will make the students participate. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers