Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / New and interesting ways to teach science

Elementary Science

New and interesting ways to teach science

Author Post
Jessica Gordon Jessica Gordon 180 Points

I am a preservice teacher in a first grade classroom this semester. I was wondering what are some fun and engaging lessons you all have taught in a first grade setting. 

Pamela Dupre Pamela Dupre 92369 Points

If you look on the menu at Explore All Resources, you can choose some articles and lessons that help with content knowledge for specific grade levels. I love life science and children always seem to love to plant seeds. You can use ziploc bags with a damp napkin inside and give them two seeds in case once doesn't germinate. Tape them on a window or wall so they get enough sunlight. Keep the bags slightly open for air to circulate. Sunflower and bean seeds seem to germinate quickly. Have them trace their seed in the journal before putting it in the baggie. The have them predict how many days it will take for it to sprout. The back of the seed packets will show germination, plant height, and zones in the US. This makes for a great discussion about seasons and how different plants grow at different times of the year.

Wendy Hernandez Wendy Hernandez 915 Points

I didn't know NSTA has an "explore all resources" this is a great tool to use for our lesson planning and articles, thanks for sharing! -Wendy Hernandez

Pamela Dupre Pamela Dupre 92369 Points

I agree Wendy! I just click around to see what each area does and I stumble upon some really great things.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers