Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / New Teacher

Early Childhood

New Teacher

Author Post
Amanda Arling Amanda Arling 170 Points

Hey guys! I am just beginning to teach some lessons in my Elementary Education program in college and I was wondering what are some effective and fun science activities that I could use for a Kindergarten classroom?

Kanwal Mohammad Kanwal Mohammad 740 Points

It all depends on your lesson topic! I am a student teacher in a kindergarten classroom. I would definitely recommend to start a lesson off by asking them questions about what they already know. Then you can show them a short video followed by a bubble map and any activity.

Callie Spradley Callie Spradley 510 Points

Kanwal, I really appreciate what you said about starting off a lesson asking students what they already know. That's key! I would love to know what a bubble map is. I'm not sure. Amanda, please give students sensory experiences where they can be engaged exploring materials that stimulate their thinking!

Helen Vu Helen Vu 950 Points

I definitely think that no matter what topic, your activities should be very hands-on! Try to make sure the run-time isn't too long because they can't focus on one thing for a long time.

Hallie Seals Hallie Seals 850 Points

Hello Helen, I'm Hallie, a senior at University of Houston. I'm currently in student teaching 1. In my previous semester, I placed in a kindergarten classroom. My CT had a science lesson that help student understand how enzymes break down in the body. So, each student received a clear dixie cups with 3 to 4 M&M's (the candy). Then, we instructed the students to chew the M&M's but do not swallow. Once the M&M's were "mushy" we instructed to spit the M&M's back into the cups. Then we explained how the body actually breaks down enzymes. Hope this is helpful!

Hallie Seals Hallie Seals 850 Points

Hello Helen, I'm Hallie, a senior at University of Houston. I'm currently in student teaching 1. In my previous semester, I placed in a kindergarten classroom. My CT had a science lesson that help student understand how enzymes break down in the body. So, each student received a clear dixie cups with 3 to 4 M&M's (the candy). Then, we instructed the students to chew the M&M's but do not swallow. Once the M&M's were "mushy" we instructed to spit the M&M's back into the cups. Then we explained how the body actually breaks down enzymes. Hope this is helpful!

Daisy Hinojosa Daisy Hinojosa 1020 Points

Hello guys, i am a senior at the University of Houston and I am in my first semester of student teaching in a 4th grade classroom. I am in an ELA classroom and I have not been able to experience a science classroom, so I am hoping to be in a science classroom for my last semester. I am really looking forward to having a lot of hands on activities in a science classroom

Chelsea Cook Chelsea Cook 875 Points

I'm also curious of some fun science activities and lessons that could be done in a kindergarten class. I was placed in a kindergarten classroom to observe, but I was never able to see science being taught. I have been student teaching in a 3rd grade classroom, but I would love to teach kindergarten.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers