Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / What you wish you knew before student teaching

Early Childhood

What you wish you knew before student teaching

Author Post
Aleeya Cheney Aleeya Cheney 610 Points

Hello all, my name is Aleeya Cheney and I am currently a senior at Wartburg College majoring in Elementary Education with endorsements in Early Childhood and Reading. I start student teaching in Januray of 2024 and I am curious to know what you guys wish you knew before going into student teaching or your first year of teaching. The more tips the better! 

Mary Lynn Hess Mary Hess 12258 Points

Aleeya,

That's a loaded question. It was an exciting time in my career, not knowing what to expect. It also depends on the school you get assigned to. States, districts and students can be very different.

If I'd have to give you advice, be a great listener and find those 'super teachers' at the school to learn all you can from. Take what you believe in and learn from the best. What ever you do, remember you are there for the students...what's best for them is your driving goal.

The best of luck to you, and have fun!

Thank you Mary! I appreciate the advice!

Cody Brannon Cody Brannon 40 Points

I think I would like to know that teaching children is not only about teaching children, but also doing a lot of work at home in order to prepare plans. It exhausts me so much, I understand that over time I will work out the material for the lessons and will not do it anymore, but how much time it takes, oh God!

Mary Lynn Hess Mary Hess 12258 Points

Cody,

Find your passion! It may or may not be teaching. Whatever you decide love what you do even if it takes a little more time to master it.

Cody,

I do agree that working outside of school is needed for your first year and second year teaching. However, if you use your time wisely and ask other educators for resources, you can try not to bring work back home with you. I am worried about how much time I will be spending on lesson plans outside of the school day and I could also use tips on how to have a life outside of being a teacher. It is a balancing act for sure. 

Toni Bush Toni Bush 1805 Points

Hello All/Cheney,

The idea is to plan, plan, and when you think you are done, plan so more. It is not all about the lesson plans because you can have the perfect lesson plan but not the right execution. Plan for the unexpected, talk to veteran teachers, or someone that has just completed their student teaching. If you can, take a day to go an observe the classroom in which you will work. 

Toni,

Thank you for the feedback. How do you find time to plan for everything? Do you have a strategy you have found that works?

Amanda Moyers Amanda Moyers 583 Points

I think the most important thing to remember is to constantly be a student even when finished with earning your degree. Keeping current on teaching practices and bracing for lots of preplanning and at home work to get through the first year of teaching. Being adapable is another great thing to keep in mind because what you think is going to work may not work in your class no matter how hard you try. Sometimes changing in the moment works better than forcing a strategy that isn't working for your students. 

Amanda,

Thank you for your advice. I'll be sure to keep updated on the latest education research. I plan to get my masters through an online masters program while I teach starting my third year post undergraduation. If you know of any good online masters programs, let me know!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers