Forums

Forums / Earth and Space Science / Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle

Earth and Space Science

Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle

Author Post
Gicelle Benitez Gicelle Benitez 360 Points

Hello!

After learning about the importance of keeping our Earth clean, what are some activities I can use to incorporate the topic of  'Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle' into the classroom?

Thank you in advance!

Alondra Leija Alondra Leija 400 Points

Hi Gicelle, 

I personally would try to use some hands on activities such as perhaps a game of 'basketball' using recycable things so that the students would be able to differentiate what is recycable and what is not. I would also use the recycable trashcans so that they would 'make the basket' into the correct bin and they may use that knowledge outside of school as well. 

Sylvia Salinas Sylvia Salinas 360 Points

As we know, it is important to take care of the environment due to if we continue at the pace we are going, we will destroy the environment. Therefore, it is necessary as you mentioend to incorporate activities that will create awareness towards the importance of the environment. An activity that could be incorporated to promote recycling could be by asking students to bring in a lunch to class that involves waste free items. Another interactive way could be by creating sculptures with recycable items to create engagement as well as awarness of the environment 

Fatima Ruiz Fatima Ruiz 660 Points

An activity you can use, that would not only teach students about recycling, but would also teach students about having a clean space, and creativity; The teacher can have small bin in the classroom, labeled 'Recycle'. As students go throught their day in school, they could pick up any recyclabel items from around the school, and deliver them in the classroom bin. As a 'Closing Lesson Activity', the teacher can have students build anything (etc.People, Places, and Things) out of the gathered materials. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers