Forums

Forums / STEM / FREE PD webinar: Creating Hybridized Learning Experiences with Video

STEM

FREE PD webinar: Creating Hybridized Learning Experiences with Video

Author Post
Candice Chambers Candice Chambers 200 Points

Greetings colleagues!
I am posting this opportunity for any educator who is still struggling to create engaging videos for learners. Please join us for Creating Hybridized Learning Experiences with Video, a free webinar for educators on January 27th at 1pm. If you know a teacher who needs some help creating videos, please share and help us get the word out! Please feel free to circulate the attached flyer with more information. 
Best,
Candice

Casey Brenner Casey Brenner 170 Points

Do you feel as though using videos as an introduction to lessons gets students more interested and engaged in the topic verses doing something else? How do you go about finding credible sources for your videos? I know some teachers will just pull YouTube videos while others say that isn't smart and like to find reputable websites with videos. What do you recommend for finding interesting and engaging videos?

Hi Casey! 

I think it depends on what you're trying to accomplish. A short and welcoming video introduction to the week/module can go a long way in setting the tone for your course, especially if you seize it as an opportunity for establishing your presence in an online course. A lot of educators aim to create the perfect five minute mini lesson or welcome video, but the research shows us that our learners want humans on the other side of the screen, not perfectly produced videos. When we let our personalities and enthusiasm show through, we engage the students with our passion and persona. At the very least, a video introduction for a lesson/module helps communicate our expectations for the learners. In my short intro videos, I like to give the learners some tips for how to approach the activities for the week if they get stuck or pose a thought question for them to explore on their own. 

Great question about finding credible sources for video! I am always on the lookout for new resources relating to what I teach. When seeking out an updated and credible video, I'll often ask fellow educators about their go-to resource when they go searching for school-appropriopt content. When I am building a module in my course, I seek out videos that are 10 minutes or less, created by trusted content creators whose videos are well-researched and use reliable sources. Sometimes I can find what I'm looking for on YouTube. The Green brothers created SciShow and CrashCourse, two very entertaining and engaging educational shows that are available in part or in full on YouTube. Other colleagues have recommended resources from HHMI, PBS, the Smithsonian Channel, etc. I've additionally used videos that other educators post on YouTube channels, always making sure to vet them for accuracy and alignment to learning objectives before showing them. So, I think this is a yes, and kind of question, depending on how available resources are for the subject or content that you teach. 

My final recommendation: We can also teach learners to use the FLICC model to find and evaluate resources on their own. Jennfifer Gonzalez of Cult of Pedagogy talks about using curation to boost higher-order thinking. I think that's a strategy worth exploring as we aim to be more culturally relevant in our practice. Pairing curation with the FLICC model also helps boost literacy skills and could be a great avenue for discussing diverse perspectives and bias. 

Andrew Brown Andrew Brown 20 Points

Hey Candice!

I agree with you that making your own videos can help with distance learning. What software do you use for creating videos?

Hi Andrew! Thanks for reaching out! I primarily use Camtasia for recording videos, but occasionally I'll use Loom for quick, short screen captures. Best, Candice -- *

James Andrews James Andrews 60 Points

Hi!

It's so hard to learn video editing for a beginner! I use a free chrome extension to record a video from my webcam and capture it from the screen and then edit it via movavi video editor - URL.  Those apps are very easy to use. What is the easiest software for beginners that offers lots of editing help?  

Daniel Fulkerson Daniel Fulkerson 1110 Points

Thanks for sharing the PD! It looks quite informtive.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers