Forums

Forums / New Teachers / Friends in Early Childhood

New Teachers

Friends in Early Childhood

Author Post
Chloe Murphy Chloe Murphy 615 Points

What is the appropriate responce to a child in preschool through third grade when they say 'I don't want to play with (blank)'? I am always conflicted because of course I want to teach all my students to love one another and be kind to everyone no matter what. But I also agree that sometimes, you simply don't want to play with that person at that moment. I feel that kids should have the right to play with who they want. It's a very common comment amongst all the preschoolers through kindergartners I have worked with. So I want to know what is the best strategy to teach children to be kind, but also have freedom to choose their friends? 

Iria Pineiro Iria Pineiro 3680 Points

I have found that a lot of times kids really do just want to play by themselves. I like to reassure the child and validate their feelings by telling them that it is ok to want to work alone right now and that maybe when they are working on a new activity or at a different time, they'll want to work with a friend. I also would tell the other child that the first child just wants some alone time, and that its ok to want alone time, it doesn't mean they don't want to be friends. I would tell the second child to just ask the first child later on if they want to work together. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers